Sunday, December 23, 2012

Stitches Uganda Style!


The "Spring cleaning" bug bit and Jason and I were cleaning the house and rearranging some things.  We started moving something into the kitchen and the edge scraped over the top of my foot.  Thinking nothing of it I said "ouch" and kept going until we got it moved.  I looked down and there was blood trickling down my foot.  As I looked closer there was  a nice clean surgical type incision about an inch and a half long.  Jason bent down and looked at it and immediately decided it needed stitches.  Whatever it was had cut pretty deep and needed attention.

Now when you have an issue here in Jinja you have two choices, a private clinic or Jinja Main Hospital.  I have experienced first hand the filth that is Jinja 'Pain' and I knew there was no way I was going there.  We bandaged my foot and made a call to our friend Katie.  Luckily she was at home and had experience in providing stitches. Jason stayed behind with the kids and I drove myself over to Katie's house.  There on her living room floor, my 'doc' Katie put a stitch into my foot.  She tried to put another but for some reason the needle did not want to go through my skin (apparently I have tough skin, only second to her dog!).  So with one stitch and a few Steri strips I headed home. 





No comments:

Post a Comment